Discussion 2012 Fall Season Wrap Up

Discussion in 'Anime Alley' started by Ren, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Ren Limburger League

The Anime Fall season is almost at a close. Were there any that you particularly liked? Recommend? Watched and dropped?

This season I watched,
    K
    Jormungand: Perfect Order
    Zetsuen no Tempest
    Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!
    Onii-chan Dakeko Ai Sae Areba Kankei Nai yo ne--
    Aoi Sekai no Chuushin de
    and the continuing Sword Art Online series.

My favorite from this season would have to be Chuunibyou, it's so gosh darn adorable >3<
    The first 3 above, I recommend if you like Action. The latter 3 if you like romance and comedy.
  2. Nyangoro Limburger League

Been watching a lot this season.

Honestly, I watch too much, but I just can't help it. Some people have to watch movies; some people have to play video games; some people have to read books; I have to watch anime.

Shin Sekai Yori is definitely the most thought provoking series I've watched this season. Hell, it's the most thought provoking series I've seen for the past two or three years (except for the Bokurano, which I read over the summer, but that one's not new). Great exploration of sociology, how needs shape systems, how systems shape culture, and how a stagnant culture leads to change. Really, really good stuff.

On the opposite end of the spectrum (but arguably just as awesome), is the new adaptation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Phantom Blood isn't exactly everyone's favorite part of JoJo, and yet david production turned it into something impossible not to enjoy. It's like someone took all the energy, manliness, and fabulousness from the universe and stuffed into twenty-four minutes a week. The direction is damn near flawless.

And as far as romance is concerned, Sukitte Ii na yo really surprised me. I wasn't expecting such an intelligent and mature look at a high school romance. It's a great tale of two people, who have no idea how to handle love (but in opposite ways), trying to make a relationship work. It's the best kind of sweet and dysfunctional. Plus, Nomi Yuuji is the perfect composer for this kind of series.

Other than those, I've been watching:
    Zetsuen no Tempest
    Magi
    PSYCHO-PASS
    Robotic;Notes
    K
    Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
    Medaka Box: Abnormal
    Jormungand: Perfect Order
    Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
    Kami-sama Hajimemashita
    BTOOOM!
    OniAi (it must be the dark part of my otaku mind that makes me enjoy this, that's the only explanation)

That also happens to be the order that I enjoy them from most to least. I honestly wasn't sure about PSYCHO-PASS for a while there, but this current arc has been a massive improvement.

Oh, I'm also watching the still ongoing Hunter x Hunter, Uchuu Kyoudai, and Shirokuma Cafe. Having never seen or read anything Hunter x Hunter before, let me just say that I now totally understand why people love this series so much.
  3. Ren Limburger League

I know the feeling. It's actually more for manga than anime for me, but I still love my anime. But there's no such thing as too much! =D

The Winter season doesn't look too interesting for me but it's still too early to decide. I wasn't expecting to watch half of the anime that I did for this season, but quite a few of them received good recommendations from my peers. Either way, whatever I didn't finish this season in previous seasons, I'll catch up if I can't find anything new to watch.

Overly macho and manly anime don't really appeal to me, but for some reason the mangas do (like crows, worst, clover, sugarless, etc). Ironically, don't like Mech anime either, even though I love programming and AI.

I'll check out Shin Sekai Yori, seems like something I'd like.

OniAi is perfectly fine to like! There's nothing wrong with the special bond a brother and sister share!! But Akito has to be playing for the other team. I'd shoot for the Busty redhead or the blonde, they seem to be the kinkiest. But then again Gin can cook... Well, that's why we have harems.

I could not get into BTOOOM! Dropped after the first episode, maybe a bit rash on my part, but it just did not entertain me. Aoi Sekai no Chushin de was an utter disappointment (even though they only released one episode, it was just awful. Not even a decent parody anime, just perverted jokes and light ecchi). As well as the Litchi DE Hikari Club parody shorts... OMFG, that was absolutely horrible compared to how good the manga is.
    I have yet to watch Psycho-Pass and Hunter X Hunter, those are next on my recommendation list.
    Chuunibyou I liked because... Pretty sure I had/have that syndrome -w-;; It's just really funny and cute. Let's not forget about the battle scenes...Those are always entertaining. K is also amazing to me in terms of VFX, (the first episode more than any of the other episodes, though). The cliffhanger endings also force me to keep coming back the following weeks.