PC Final Fantasy XIV: ARR

Discussion in 'Video Game Discussion' started by Risoluto, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Risoluto Limburger League

Anybody else in the beta? I've been enjoying it somewhat, wondering if anybody wanted to go have some jolly good times with me.

Can answer questions about the game too if you're interested.
  2. sfkingalpha Mozzarella League

Didn't even know the beta was out. How to beta?
    I was a hardcore no life FFXI player for about 4 years. Quit for 3, tried FFXIV 1.0. What a disaster.
    Would like to try ARR.
  3. Shizeni Pecorino League

How is the beta?
    I heard complaints of the previous versions were pretty severe, have they improved?
    Also HOW MUCH GRIND
  4. sfkingalpha Mozzarella League

Beyond severe problems.
    There where 3 separate apology letters sent to all who played it. Also SE CEO said FFXIV had damaged the FF brand/name. Pretty much the whole team that worked on it was fired.
  5. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

I may or may not be in the beta. However, I can say that I was in the beta of the version that turned out to be a clusterfuck.
  6. Risoluto Limburger League

Well for those of you who were in the fore-mentioned clusterfuck of the initial release, here's the major changes:
    - Crafting system isn't as convoluted and more streamlined
    - Quests are actually worthwhile now, and levequests are much more accessible (think WoW dailies)
    - Non-existant or little copy/paste in the environments
    - Getting around is ridiculously easy thanks to cheap quick teleports to any visited hub from anywhere, a free 15m home teleport, chocobos that work both as mounts and flightpaths, and a sprint skill that is pretty much permanent when out of combat.
    - There's an auction house now, and vendor gear is worthwhile as well now.
    - UI is actually usable, and is customizable, as well as looking pretty sleek to boot.

@Shizeni
    The grind doesn't seem bad at all for the combat and crafting classes, but the gathering classes REALLY fucking remind me of woodcutting in Runescape. The food items in game that give you stat buffs also give you small exp boosts, and if you chain-kill enemies that are the same or higher level than you you get bonus exp.

That said, my complaints right now are the following:
    - You can't see the actual benefits of stat bonuses in game, so you have no idea how to efficiently allocate bonus points.
    - Combat feels a little slow (the GCD is quite high, around 2+ seconds, and while in WoW you'd weave auto-attacks in between skills to maximize DPS, the auto-attack timer is really fucking wonky) and if you're a melee your skills almost always fizzle if the target moves out of range.

I'm sorry for making WoW comparisons, but this game does feel alot like WoW with an FF skin. Which is both good and bad. This really should have been the initial release though, because the sour taste that FFXIV left in most people's mouths a couple years ago probably hasn't gone away.
  7. sfkingalpha Mozzarella League

What you said about the attacking reminds me of FFXI. Very slow, almost turned based auto attacks. Did you ever play it? Also being at a specific range to attack is something I remember.
    Wish they just copy pasted the crafting system from XI... best system ever.

Catzz gimmie ur beta key plox?
  8. ZippyDoo Monterey Jack League

Rezzing this thread to say that the game has eaten the past two weeks of my life.

A great game imo, and I usually dislike mmos.
  9. Vaaferias Cream League

I started playing this game week ago and so far it has been really good. I like that it has taken some things from WoW(why not?) like duty finder and loot system. Though it plays little bit like WoW it still manages to bring feeling of Final Fantasy (Magitek, chocobos and MUSIC). I love the scene after clearing dungeon. I am looking foward for end game content. ^_^