Discussion Grooveshark = DEAD!

Discussion in 'Gentlepeople's Gathering' started by Cats777, May 1, 2015.

1. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

http://grooveshark.com/

Grooveshark is a site that allows people to create their own music playlist, like Spotify, except for the special caveat where people can upload songs to add to their playlists, which obviously makes licensing a total nightmare. Hence, why it's shut down. I personally never used it, but it's been pretty popular among Twitch users.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm totally not posting this thread because it may or may not affect the popularity of the playlists by yours truly.
  2. Streke Edam League

I used it at odd times back in my secondary school years, but I never seriously considered it as anything but a way to get music past the school filter. Stopped using it when I had no need to bypass filters.

With this takedown, I assume pirated music might experience a spike in popularity, considering how allegedly popular Grooveshark was. The website now is a respectable message about licensed distributors and awareness of the music industry, which I find to be very respectable and an even-handed way to see Grooveshark off.

This playlist might see a damn slight more popularity, but it's design is rather in conflict with what Grooveshark provided - randomized vidya songs picked by a single man on the internet isn't quite the same as musical discovery through creation of one's own playlists. I'd expect bigger flocks (relative) to head towards Spotify, which is a larger, interconnected bastion of online playlists and support.
  3. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

Yeah, average bandwidth usage is average. At least I got a tweet out of it.

Spotify is definitely good for discovering new music. Just not the video game kind, especially the Japanese games. Rainwave.cc is much better than Spotify or my playlist(s) for discovering new video game music, though you can't really make your own playlist there.