VIP Phoenix Update!

Discussion in 'Announcements Area' started by Cats777, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Yeah, I know it's been a while and I apologize for that. I had a big project for a few months at work, which was pretty hectic. Now that the project's done and I'm unemployed, I can get back to shitposting full-time.

Back to the playlist! I've incurred a large amount of update debt, which I will now repay excluding interest! I also added a special notice track for Chrome users.

Code:
    NieR: Automata - Weight of the World Nouveau-FR Version
    NieR: Automata - Birth of a Wish
    NieR: Automata - Wretched Weaponry: Medium/Dynamic
    NieR: Automata - Memories of Dust

Let's get the big ones out of the way. NieR: Automata is Yoko Taro's latest mad concoction. If you're not familiar with Yoko Taro, he conjures some of the most macabre stories in gaming. The man is obsessed with death. At the same time, the stories are filled with a disturbingly weird sense of humor. Some say this strange combination may have originated from his friend's untimely death during his childhood(Google it). Whatever the case, the stories are masterfully written. Here's a video seminar on how Yoko Taro writes his stories. It's pretty similar to how I write mine, except I'm crap at it. Anyway, ever since I read(spoiled myself) the stories from NieR 1, I've been obsessed with the guy. Once N:A was announced for PC, I knew that I'd be buying it the first chance I'd get. When the game was released, I was somewhat surprised by its enormous popularity, since the first one didn't do so well. I guess it's because the gameplay is actually tolerable now.

So I bought the game at nier full price and beat it. Confession: it's the first full-length RPG I've beaten since Suikoden Tierkreis, and that was a goddamn long time ago. Whew, what an emotional rollercoaster, as I expected. However, the final ending was actually less depressing than I thought. If you're planning on playing it, my advice is to do EVERY sidequest. Even though most of them follow the typical sidequest formula, they add to the overall world and shed a lot of light on the plot. They make you see why characters do what they do. No spoilers, but some of them even enhance the impact of the main quests.

Oh and the music is excellent as always. I had a poll asking the NieR General thread on /vg/ which version of "Weight of the World" they liked best, and the results are surprising. The YorHa version isn't in the poll, because the chanting freaks me out. (Fun fact: it was the whole development team doing the chanting. Some were off-key which is probably why it sounds so unnerving.)

Code:
    NieR - Song of the Ancients / Fate
     returned from exile

If you've ever wondered if it's possible for a track to return from exile, well now you know. I believe this is the first time it's ever happened. Why did this particular track return from exile? It's fucking magic. o_o Actually, it's because there was a rendition of it that played in N:A during a pivotal point in the story, but I like this version over the rest.

Code:
    Persona 5 - insaneintherainmusic - Last Surprise (feat. Adriana Figueroa, Brandon Miles Shelton & Chris Allison)
    Persona 5 - Our Beginning
    Persona 5 - Rivers in the Desert

Persona 5 is another big game recently released. I haven't played any of the Persona games. Unless they release one for the PC master race, I probably won't ever get to play one. It's not playable yet on the PS3 emulator.

The game has great jazzy songs, but the Engrish vocals in some of the songs are a bit annoying to me. If they had been in Simlish like in NieR, I would've been fine with them. So I added the best cover I could find with a native American English vocalist. If someone talented(and preferably with a dash of soul) can cover "Rivers in the Desert" or "Life Will Change", that would be great, thanks.

Code:
    Time Travelers - The Truth of the World
    Time Travelers - Another Place and Time

From the composer behind Echochrome and Attack of the Friday Monsters, here's Hideki Sakamoto with a couple of beautiful tracks from Time Travelers. I have no clue what this game is about, but I like to follow what this guy is up to from time to time.

Code:
    Yooka-Laylee - Blake Robinson Synthetic - Jungle World Orchestra
    Yooka-Laylee - Tropic Trials
    Yooka-Laylee - Minecart Theme (World 1)

Let me first say that I'm one of the people who backed Yooka-Laylee on Scamstarter. >:( It's just one of those things that sounds promising at first, being supported by a prominent deceloper, but then falls flat on its face because the ground is too wet. Just like DFA, MN9, and Planetary Annihilation (I've also backed these! >_>).

Grant Kirkhope comes back to compose, but unfortunately he's completely outshined by David Wise. I don't even know why they invited Wise. His tracks sound too much like Donkey Kong and are so much better than Kirkhope's tracks. What a shame.

Code:
    Brigador - There Is No Law Here
    Brigador - Rise
    Brigador - A New Age

This game, Brigador, caught me by surprise. It's a really fun mecha isometric shooter, a kind of game that I've always wanted to have. The music is astonishingly good. If you're into synthwave like I am, then you'll love it.

Code:
    Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - Dragonsong
    Final Fantasy XII - Distant Worlds Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus - The Dalmasca Eastersand

The latest Distant Worlds album was just released. I just love orchestrated video game music, especially if it's FF. The "Dragonsong" track in the album is literally the same as the one in the FF14 OST. After hearing this song, I'm gonna have to listen to all of FF14's OSTs. And maybe revisit FF11's music.

Code:
    Deus Ex - Alexander Brandon & Jimmy Hinson - Ma Cherie Nicolette

Alexander Brandon remixes his own original track and it's pretty good. This track also came from a Deus Ex remix album, which is totally FREE!

Code:
    Payday 2 - Razormind
    Payday 2 - Black Yellow Moebius
    Payday 2 - Backstab
    Payday 2 - The Mark

It's a sin that I haven't gotten Payday 2 on the playlist yet. I've just been listening to it over and over, trying to pick out the best ones. Yeah, that's a good reason.

Code:
    I Am Setsuna - March of the brave
    I Am Setsuna - No turning back
    I Am Setsuna - Out of time
    I Am Setsuna - Towards the distant horizon

I am Setsuna's OST is just breathtaking, and it's mostly just piano. I love piano music almost as much as orchestrated music. The game itself is a fairly underrated JRPG that people say is pretty similar to Chrono Trigger.

Code:
    Pilotwings Resort - Glider

Pilotwings Resort is a mediocre game where you take your Miis flying, or something like that. It's a shovelware game, but it has great relaxing music.

Code:
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Trip through Sequin Land
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Scorching Dunes (Sunburn Island)
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Arctic Justice (Frostbite Island)
    Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Jake Kaufman - Burning Town Forever Remix
    Shantae: Risky's Revenge - She's Got Moves
    Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Tassle Town
    Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - The Sky Bridge
    Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Counterfelt Mermaids
    Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Barrel-O-Mermaids
    Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - Tools of War (Clockwork Tower)
    Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - A Cargo of Fineries (Flying Machine)
    Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - The Price of Doing Business (Iron Whale)

And last but not least, here's another Jake Kaufman block. This guy can do no wrong. There was no Shantae on the playlist, so I decided to get some in there. The playlist needs some Arabic funk.

"Burning Town Forever Remix" might sound familiar to some of you. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Code:
    Kishi Bashi - Carry on Phenomenon
     exiled from VIP
    Kishi Bashi - The Ballad of Mr. Steak
     exiled from VIP

Also, I exiled Kishi Bashi, because it really shouldn't have been in the playlist in the first place. While it is technically a game, the music wasn't made specifically for it. I think that should be a hard rule from now on. The music has to be made for the game. That leaves out a whole bunch of music games. I have been trying to leave them out because of this.

Thanks for reading this wall of text. Do people even read these? I organized this one a bit differently so it would be easier to understand. I hope it worked. Maybe not. It just looks like an even bigger wall of text. >_>
  2. o100nome Feta League

And the phoenix reborn!
    Personally, I liked most of the songs introduced in this update.
    And finally Shantae is in the playlist! :)
  3. kamuiarikado Cream League

Great update! Luv your VG playlists and posts. Shantae, NieR: Automata and Persona 5 tracks FTW!
  4. XzX_0V3R_$W4GUL4TE_XzX Epoisses de Bourgogne League

If Nier: Automata probably has one of the best soundtracks for video games that I've ever heard - Glad to see it make an appearance in the VIP :D
  5. bunbun777 Cream League

Thanks for the update, and for all the other things you do in keeping this going. I really really appreciate it and hope you continue for a long long time.
  6. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

Thank you all for being listeners!