RPG Maker The Conjurer's Bane

Discussion in 'Video Game Development' started by Cats777, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

I made a game!

Actually, it's more like a prologue or demo. It was made in RPG Maker VX Ace in the span of one month for this contest. It combines three of my favorite things that I like to put into my projects: conspiracy, sci-fi/fantasy crossover, and Judeo-Christian mythology. It's also the first game I've done in years. The last time I touched RPG Maker was maybe 10 years ago when I was part of the greatest RPGM community known to man, Dark Dominion.

So here's the actual game:
    http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/704#.U7M7rBaTFcT
    Show Spoiler
    This game is canon
    Show Spoiler
    unless retconned.

Update:
    http://www.aersia.net/rpgm/conjurersbane1.exe
    This is the latest version. Changelog

Features:
    - Tactical battle system

With that said, I can't say anything positive about the game. Since it was my first time working with VX Ace, most of my time was spent fiddling with the system and hunting for royalty-free resources. Most of the game building happened during the last week of the contest, making it feel like it was rushed. And boy was it rushed.

The game is really easy, especially since it gives you the one weakness against the enemy right at the beginning, and I forgot to balance for that. Except for the boss, which I padded with a ton of HP and an AOE skill that could possibly one-hit KO everyone. >_>

When I started the project, I wanted it to be more open and have some moral choices, but the end result is something that's extremely linear. It's pretty much an hour-long cinematic with occasional dull battles.

I hope you enjoy my game! :D I'm definitely not gonna win, but depending on the reception, I may add on to the project and make it an actual full-length game.
  2. Streke Edam League

I was literally milling about through my copy of RPG Maker VX when I came up on this post. As someone generally unskilled with the scripting/ruby, and pretty much plays with the base mechanics and events, I'm curious to see what you've done.

Hopefully I'll comment back soon saying I liked it or something to that effect.
  3. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

Just so you know, the Backup Download contains the latest version with most of the bugs fixed! I also completely forgot to mention that it uses a tactical battle system.
  4. Streke Edam League

Was in shock, hadn't played Fire Emblem before.

Tactical battle system aside, I've made/played futuristic RPGs built in the various iterations of the RPG Maker, and gun systems are pretty tricky to balance. Especially when it's a big RPG, and you need a sort of progression system.
    I was in slight need of an actual Inn system to farm heals from, but ultimately I just sold the Machine Gun prior to the boss fight to load up on flak jackets and medkits.
    I certainly saw instances of possible moral choice implementations. I was expecting more from the guy in the apartment hall. Aside from all that, and bugs aside, the minor puzzling and random items strewn about brought it close to home.
    Honestly, Alternate Aersia Universe aside, I think you'd be better off making a scenario like this in the Shadowrun Returns editor.

Thanks for sharing, Cats!

edit:
    http://gyazo.com/d6fb956dd897f2f213b10658f6ab1a84

cats slow down pls
  5. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

It's a sci-fi game, so it'll have many forms of energy guns and AOE weapons. The attachment system would provide even greater customization to each weapon, though I'll have to figure out how to create categories and restrictions for them, so people don't install something like 3 scopes on one gun.

Isn't the editor pretty much just urban areas? I'm planning on having mech vs demon battles in various environments, such as desert and sky. In fact, the next chapter takes place in a desert.

Haha, a lot of that was from the last week of the contest, and there are people who put in hundreds more hours that month.

Thanks for playing! :D
  6. Streke Edam League

Aah, you see, the thing I stupidly get caught up on is trying to keep early weapons viable in some manner. But then I can't weigh out why/how bullets would compete with lasers and the like. Especially in simplified battle systems like the vanilla RPG Maker, which encourages straight upgrades.

Mechs' sound great. Although, that brings in a huge thing to balance around. Like attacking priority and relative strength. Perfect, heh.

Also, shouldn't you have a prologue or something detailing stories from the previous iterations of Aersia first? Like, the pre-space age and all that? Or is that considered all said and done now?