VIP V10P!

Discussion in 'Announcements Area' started by Cats777, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

Wow, 10 years and still no cease and desist letters. I'm on a roll!

Let's all remind ourselves of why I started this playlist, because sometimes I forget it. 10 years ago, I compiled a short playlist of around 100 tracks for 4chan /f/ and /v/, as a sort of Christmas gift. It was a silly gift filled with some of my favorite video game music. People enjoyed the playlist, so I continuously expanded on it. Later on, it became clear that I was doing it to share my unique obsession with VGM; which is pretty much the only music I listen to. This playlist is unique in that I like to share all the obscure VGM that's generally overlooked, including talented artists who take the time to arrange their favorite tracks, sometimes even exceeding the quality of the originals. There's just a ton of good VGM out there that people aren't listening to. Hell, I even made a YT channel just so I could share more. I feel like I can keep doing this forever.

So here's to another 10 years unmolested!

Code:
    Splatoon - Tokyo Active NEETs - Splattack Ranked Session
    Splatoon - White Owl - Maritime Memory (Charisma Fes Girls Remix)
    Splatoon - NOQQYSC - Shellfie the remix
    Splatoon - RetroSpecter - Final Boss Phase 1 & 2 (Squid Sisters Remashed)
    Splatoon 2 - Tudd - Ebb and Flow
    Splatoon 2 - Hylen - Ultra Color Pulse
    Splatoon 2 - CG5 - Inkcoming
    Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - RobKTA - Octo DLC Remix
    Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - VGR - Into The Light
    Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion - sheddy - 'Sea-P-U' (Blitz It! Remix)

Let's start with some popular games, then rapidly delve into obscure territory. Everyone knows and loves Splatoon. All the tracks I'm adding are remixes from different artists. One of the remixes is from one of my favorite Touhou doujin bands, Tokyo Active NEETs. Most of the Splatoon 2 remixes came from this album!

Code:
    Final Fantasy XIV - Answers
    Final Fantasy XIV - Steel Reason
    Final Fantasy XIV - The Rider's Boon
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Torn from the Heavens
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Ultima
    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Zephyr Cradle - Through the Maelstrom
    Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - Imagination
    Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - Coming Home
    Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - Revenge Twofold
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood - Husky by the Geek - Under the Moonlight (Tsukuyomi)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood - The Worm's Trail
    Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood - Beauty's Wicked Wiles

You probably already saw this coming: FF14, the game I've been playing for the past year. Well, did you know it holds TWO Guinness world records? One for the longest end credits in an MMO(which is kinda BS, since the credits list every player before the revamp) and one for the most original pieces of music(384 at the time of awarding, not even including Stormblood). Yours truly went and listened to all the damn OSTs and filtered all the fillers. Picking through RPG tracks is tough, which is why I rarely go through RPG OSTs.

Code:
    Sonic Mania - Friends
    Sonic Mania - James Wong - Mirage Saloon (James Wong Remix)
    Sonic Mania - Lights, Camera, Action!-Studiopolis Zone Act 1
    Sonic Mania - Guided Tour-Credits

It's Sanic! Good of Sega to finally hire Tee Lopes and finally make a good Sonic game.

Code:
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - The Red Wings -New Wind-
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Skies of a Strange Land
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - jdk Band - Tie a Link of ARCUS!
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - jdk Band - Belief
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Bring up Trust!
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Phantasmal Blaze
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Still Countryside
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Blue Destination

I'm a huge fan of the Falcom Sound Team. I'm usually up-to-date with their music, which is why Trails of Cold Steel has been sitting in the backlog for years. I'm not sure why I haven't added it yet. It's probably because I was waiting for an English localization title. That sounds like a terrible reason. Now that the games are out on Steam, it feels appropriate to add them now.

Code:
    DEEMO - Metal Hypnotized
    DEEMO - Saika
    DEEMO - Evolution era
    DEEMO - Wings of Piano

I really should've added this one a long time ago. Deemo is perhaps the only story-based rhythm game with an actual good story. Every time I listen to some of the music, I get an incredible feeling of nostalgia. Having a sad ending just makes it worse. "Metal Hypnotized" sounds like it doesn't belong here. That's because it was composed by none other than Nobuo Uematsu. He's fucking everywhere.

Code:
    VA-11 HALL-A Prologue - Skyline
    VA-11 HALL-A Prologue - Showtime!
    VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - Every Day is Night
    VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - Through the Storm, We Will Find a Way
    VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - Drive Me Wild
    VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - A. Rene

Let's continue with an indie game that came from /agdg/. VA-11 HALL-A, which is leet speak for "Valhalla", is a VN about running a cyberpunk bar. The music is great, reminiscent of classic shmups. No, the game is not a shmup; but if you're like me and you listen to the music without having played the game, you'll be thinking, "Hm, this sounds like it came from a shmup." In fact, one of the tracks in the OST is "Umemoto", named after Ryu Umemoto, a composer known for his works in shmups such as Psyvariar, Mushihime-sama, and Espgaluda. RIP.

Code:
    Freedom Planet - Toni Leys - Dragon Valley (Toni Leys Remix feat. Esteban Bellucci)
    Freedom Planet - Relic Maze 2
    Freedom Planet - Trap Hideout 2

Oh look, it's that blatant Sonic ripoff that became somewhat of a spiritual successor before Sonic Mania came along.

Code:
    Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4 - Re-Birth feat. Aubrey Ashburn
    Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 4 - Taillight feat. Emi Evans

Classic Yuzo Koshiro doing another obscure video game, which is actually pretty popular in Asia. This arcade racing series plays a lot like an RPG. All your progress is saved on a card. You buy the best car that everyone else uses, get money from races, and upgrade your car with the money until you're overpowered and crush all the other players. Then you realize you spent thousands of [insert Asian currency here] on an arcade game.

Code:
    Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun - Lone Trooper
    8-Bit Armies - Check My Creds
    8-Bit Armies - Blockhead
    8-Bit Armies - Oh Snap
    8-Bit Hordes - Frank Klepacki - Horde March (Trailer Version)
    8-Bit Hordes - Retro Hero
    Grey Goo - War Is Evolving
    Grey Goo - Agile Maneuvers
    Grey Goo - Materialize
    Grey Goo - Beta Formation

Classic Frank Klepacki doing the music for obscure RTSs for ex-Westwood employees(Petroglyph).

Code:
    Finding Paradise - Wish My Life Away

Finding Paradise is the sequel to the hit tearjerker To the Moon. I have this game installed but haven't gotten around to playing it yet!

Code:
    Uncharted Waters - Yoko Kanno - Portugal
    Uncharted Waters - Yoko Kanno - Olive Wind
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - Yoko Kanno - WIND AHEAD ~Wind Ahead~
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - Yoko Kanno - CATALINA ~Catalina's Theme~
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - Yoko Kanno - THE CHASE ~Chase~

I had an obscure request(more like complaint) for this obscure game series, and it's Yoko Kanno so I had to put it in. The Uncharted Waters series is comparable to games like Sid Meier's Pirates and all those other nautical economy sims. There's an MMO coming out on Steam very soon, but it's already been out for a decade and has changed developers a lot. Also, too bad it doesn't have Yoko Kanno.

Code:
    Napple Tale - Wild Wind
     returned from exile
    Napple Tale - Dreams in a pie

I'm bringing a track back from Exile! Mostly it's because we need a little more Yoko Kanno in our lives, but also partially because my standards have lowered since years ago. That may be good or bad depending on who you ask. Let's just say I'm a little more open-minded; which can also be good or bad.

Code:
    Beatbuddy - Europa Deep - Lost in Yesterday (SupaFunk Remix)
    Beatbuddy - I'm Your Star
    Beatbuddy - This Moment
    Beatbuddy: On Tour - Beatbuddy Rocks

Beatbuddy is a game in which most of the budget went to the music. If this game was played on mute, it would just be a pretty-looking mediocre platformer. But it's a good game, because the music is incredible. Everything moves to the beat and the characters beatbox during dialogue sequences. 8-) On Tour is a completely different game.

Code:
    Valkyria Chronicles - Gallant Fight

This should have been in there.

Code:
    UNDERTALE - String Player Gamer - ASGORE
     replacing UNDERTALE - ASGORE
    UNDERTALE - GaMetal - Bad Times
     replacing UNDERTALE - MEGALOVANIA
    UNDERTALE - Sauraen - For Good! (feat. Rugal)
    UNDERTALE - Dating Start!
     exiled from VIP
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow - Splitscreen - Rivals
    Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire - Little V - Battle! Wally
    Sonic 3D Blast - James Wong - Credits (Quick Remix)
    Mega Man 2 - Ulfhedn4r - Flash Man Theme
    Mega Man - Ulfhedn4r - Bomb Man
    Mega Man - Mesmonium - Cut Man Theme Remix
    rainblocks - Benjamin Briggs - Rainy Day

Random remixes coming through!
    • Now that the dust has settled, it's time to look at some Undertale remixes; I've listened to hundreds. Hope you like these selections I picked liked a goddamn sommelier. "For Good!" is hideously underrated, having less that 2k views on YT.
    • A couple of Pokemon remixes! I didn't like this "Rivals" remix at first, but it grew on me. I guess you could say my feelings for it ""evolved"". :rolleyes: "Battle! Wally" is another rival remix from another game.
    • Oh, it's James Wong again. You may remember him from earlier in this update.
    • Enjoy these fun Mega Man remixes from Ufnedl4hr.
    • Here's another Mega Matsumae remix.
    • Speaking of Manami Matsumae, here's another track of hers remixed by Benjamin Briggs. I think this is a good time for me to confess that I never liked any of Matsumae's music, past and present, from Mega Man to Mighty No. 9. >_>

Code:
    Omen of Sorrow - Untamed Madness
    Badass Inc. - Tony Chew is Dead (Radio Edit)
    Below Kryll - Finding Your Destiny
    Tunnel X1 - Ingame 1
    Into the Dead 2 - Nails
    Fire Arrow X - A Mercenary Backed By The Howling Wind (STAGE A)
    WEC Le Mans 24 - DNA be ROCKS - GARAXIAN EXPRESS (arrange ver.)
    Adolescent Santa Claus - santa main theme

And now for a bunch of single tracks from games no one has played!
    • This fighting game just came out on PS4 but is still very much obscure. The last 1/3rd of this track saves it - completely smooth genre switch.
    • Badass Inc is a Ludum Dare game.
    • This track from Below Kryll reminds me of Vangelis.
    • Tunnel X1 is a cancelled game composed by Chris Huelsbeck, one of my faves. The OST is now royalty-free to Patreon subscribers.
    • Into the Dead 2 is another generic zombie survival game for mobile, but this track sounds like it came from Bastion.
    • Fire Arrow X is a new age retro shmup. You can tell from how the track sounds.
    • What even kind of title is WEC Le Mans 24? I don't know, but it's classic Konami. Seriously, this shit was on cassette tape.
    • And last but not least, here's a sickeningly heartwarming track from a free game.

Phew, that was a lot of tracks! Happy holidays and see you next year! n_n

[IMG]
    o100nome likes this.
  2. o100nome Feta League

1 decade dude! you really have a story to tell! A story full of good music and video games ....

This one was a huge update, adding a lot of tracks from a variety selection of games, including some that I had no ideia that exist!
    Aersia was been my main source of music in a very long time, as I kinda only listen VGMs too. I really liked most of these new musics, so I'll consider that as a "Christmas gift".

Speaking of that, Merry christmas and a Happy new Year to everyone!
  3. Radscale Feta League

Great going! Hopefully we can see each other in the same place 10 years from now just as well.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
  4. kamuiarikado Cream League

Amazing selections! the biggest update ever. Thanks so much for this awesome christmas gift based cats777!

Happy holidays fellow VGM and Aersia enthusiasts!
  5. Ran Zhao Limburger League

This is so awesome!

I first stumbled upon your site in my college freshman year. After 7 years, I stumbled upon it again, began brainwashing myself and found this forum. Thank you so much, Cat7777!
    o100nome likes this.