VIP Virt Mega-Update

Discussion in 'Announcements Area' started by Cats777, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

Shovel Knight just came out last month with a soundtrack composed by the talented Jake "virt" Kaufman. To celebrate its success and brilliant soundtrack, I've compiled all of the virt that's currently on my backlog and putting it in this update.

You may all know that virt also composed the soundtracks for WayForward's Mighty Flip Champs/Milky Way/Switch Force games, but this guy has a talent for composing in many styles which you'll see(and hear) in this update. The best part is that all of his soundtracks are available for free! There are a bunch of old soundtracks on his site as well.

Code:
    Bloodrayne: Betrayal - Cursed Dawn (End Credits)
    Bloodrayne: Betrayal - Dusk Falls
    Bloodrayne: Betrayal - Zetagama
    Ultionus - Zone 0-Orbital Bombardment
    Ultionus - Zone 1-Snowy Peaks
    Boot Hill Heroes - Credits
    Boot Hill Heroes - Theme of the Past
    Boot Hill Heroes - Traveling Theme
    Shovel Knight - Flowers of Antimony (The Explodatorium)
    Shovel Knight - In the Halls of the Usurper (Pridemoor Keep)
    Shovel Knight - La Danse Macabre (Lich Yard)
    Shovel Knight - Strike the Earth! (Plains of Passage)

• Bloodrayne: Betrayal's music has a neo-classical metal style. The vocalist in Cursed Dawn also works at WayForward as an artist.
    • The Ultionus OST(which I've misspelled as "Ultonius" numerous times) has the classic Genesis style that sounds like it came from a shmup. The game does have some shmup segments. BTW, the game's creator just recently released the graphically glorious Legend of Iya, which should be coming to Steam soon.
    • Boot Hill Heroes is one of virt's more underrated works. It's also pretty much the only non-platformer in recent years for which virt has composed. It has that great SNES sound done in a wild western style. Even though it came out this year, it still evokes a great sense of nostalgia.Theme of the Past is a particularly moving track. This OST should be more popular.
    • Here it is: Shovel Knight with its highly recognizable NES-style chiptunes. This is definitely one of virt's best works yet. I had a hard time picking out tracks for this one. Hell, the soundtrack's so good that the legendary Manami Matsumae of Mega Man fame(and Mighty No. 9 in the future) composed two of the tracks. Flowers of Antimony is one of them. The game itself was actually made by former WayForward employees.

Yep, it's hard to believe that these soundtracks were made by the same person. That's why he's one of my top 5 faves.
    DaivdBaekr likes this.