(´・ω・`) Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Wayward Way' started by Dylan, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Dylan Limburger League

New to the forums but I've been listening to the playlist almost a year now. Great stuff!

Anyhoo, a little about myself and why I joined: I'm a pretty cool guy in my late 20s and forever I've been wanting to make a video game. Specfically, a 2D RPG in the same likeness of the Super Nintendo era Squaresoft games. All the details are secret right now, but I can say it will take place in a sci-fi sort of setting. Think Mega-Man and/or Blade Runner.

If things stay on track, I should post a kickstarter page in about a month with a short demo, and I'm going to need as much word of mouth to help it along when the time comes! The 2D RPG fan community is a niche one, but I believe a very strong and well connected one. Rest assured I wouldn't release a game that I think isn't worth playing. On the contrary, I aim to make a game that can affect people the way those games affected me in the 90s.

Here's a tiny preview, a headshot sketch of one of the main characters:
    [IMG]
    Jesvice and Banditachu like this.
  2. aturtledoesbite Epoisses de Bourgogne League

...I think the worst part about that picture is that it's androgynous.

That aside, looks neat. Should be pixels if you're basing it on "Super Nintendo era Squaresoft" games (read: Final Fantasy IV-VI), though. Good luck with your project, and welcome to the forums!
  3. Dylan Limburger League

Thank you! It will indeed be pixel based! 32x32 sized in fact, exactly the same size as Chrono Trigger, so a tad more detail than the FF games.

As for the androgynous aspect, yes I know exactly where you're coming from! I initially wanted to have this character less androgynous as I am too a bit tired of that cliche. However, as I was creating him, it just didn't seem right for his character. He needed to be several things at once and what that culminated in was an androgynous looking guy. The main female character slightly suffered a bit too as I wanted to depict a woman who wasn't highly sexual, but again, in the end it turned out that it just didn't seem to fit right. I may add a little stubble to him, but as for the less androgynous characters, well that will have to be reserved for other characters. Thanks for the input though!
    Jesvice likes this.
  4. Snail Casu Marzu League

So is it going to be top-down or a side scroller. Either way, as long as you put actual effort into it, and you create it for the sake of creating it and not solely money based, I am sure it will be fantastic. Just looking at your picture of the main character shows that you are willing to put effort in, as that is a great picture (On a side note: I severely wish I could draw as well as you). Good luck to you, friend! The indie game community is thriving incredibly well these days, and I am sure you will do just fine!