VIP New Hotness

Discussion in 'Announcements Area' started by Cats777, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

https://vipvgm.net

I originally planned to make this update a showcase of awesome OSTs that came out this summer, but it ended up with just RPG OSTs.

Code:
    Honkai: Star Rail - Samudrartha (feat. 优素)
    HSR recently had its first story patch, which means another OST and another epic track.

Code:
    Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent - Who Awaits on Greed's Path
    Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent - Chosen by the Light
    Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent - Orsazantos, the Creator
    And now for a competing gacha game of the same turn-based RPG genre, except this one has OSTs of a vastly different quality. I mean, it's almost incomparable, but it's a Squeenix RPG, so the music has to be top-notch. Imagine an RPG OST where half of the tracks are battle themes. Here's a 3-hour video of most of the battle themes in the game because I won't be able to put them all in the VIP. It's a shame the COTC OSTs are so underrated and ignored compared to the mainline games. In fact, there are so many great OSTs for mobile games that you wouldn't even believe. I think I'll do a whole update on some of them.

Code:
    Octopath Traveller II - Fierce Confrontation
    Octopath Traveller II - Those Who Deny the Dawn
    Octopath Traveller II - Hikari, the Warrior
    Octopath Traveller II - Critical Clash II
    While we're on the subject of Octopath, we might as well get Octopath Traveller II out of the way.

Code:
    Final Fantasy XVI - Away
    Final Fantasy XVI - Control
    Final Fantasy XVI - No Risk, No Reward
    Final Fantasy XVI - All as One
    Final Fantasy XVI - Ascension
    The legendary Masayoshi Soken has done it again. He couldn't get enough of single-handedly composing 99% of the music in FFXIV, so he concocted a 10-hour behemoth of an OST for an action RPG. That's 5 hours more than FFXV's OST!

Code:
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - Engage the Enemy (Definitive Edition ver.)
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - You Will Know Our Names (Definitive Edition ver.)
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - A Tragic Decision (Definitive Edition ver.)
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected - Time to Fight! (Bionis's Shoulder)
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Future Connected - Fogbeasts
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Gormott
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Mor Ardain - Roaming the Wastes -
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Counterattack
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - The Tomorrow with You
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country - Battle!!/Torna
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country - A Moment of Eternity
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Moebius Battle
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Kaleidoscopic Core
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Chain Attack
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Millick Meadows
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Carrying the Weight of Life
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed - New Battle!!!
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed - Cent-Omnia Region
    Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed - Future Awaits
    Several months ago, I finally beat Xenoblade 1. It looks and runs so much better on the Switch. I then played X2 for a couple of hours but dropped it because it seemed a bit immature and had too much fan service for my taste, especially after watching these kinds of videos. Now, I'm in the middle of X3, which has militaristic themes that appeal to me. However, I'll have to give X2 another go before playing X3's expansion. But also, after listening to the OST, I really have to play it now.

I know these games came out years ago, but Monolith Soft recently released the Limited Edition Xenoblade Chronicles Original Soundtrack Trinity Box, which I completely missed out on. It's a massive 20-disc collection of all the Xenoblade games, except for X. I guess Hiroyuki Sawano is too famous of a composer now to be included.

Many people sing praises of Yasunori Mitsuda's role in these OSTs, but all he did was run the studio that produced the OSTs and compose a few sentimental tracks and tear-jerking ending themes. The real star is Kenji Hiramatsu. Most of his tracks are absolute bangers. Some tracks in the OSTs were composed by ACE and ACE+. ACE is a duo that consists of TOMOri Kudo and CHiCO, while ACE+ = ACE + Kenji Hiramatsu.

One awesome thing about the Xenoblade tracks is their extended playtime before they loop, unlike tracks from most other RPGs. Most of these tracks are 4-5 minutes long, so you're less likely to get tired of them in-game. For example, "Moebius Battle" cooks for over 8 minutes before looping, something that you'd typically hear from a final boss. The crazy part is that it plays during one of the first bosses!

IMO, Xenoblade 3 is Monolith Soft's best OST to date.
    o100nome likes this.