VIP Support Playlist Features

Discussion in 'Playlists' started by I like smelling smells, Dec 3, 2012.

1. I like smelling smells Casu Marzu League

I have some suggestions that I think would be awesome (of course, you don't have to do them, since it's your website, but I (and probably a lot of other people) would enjoy them. I listed them in order of features I'd like most from top to bottom.

First, it'd be awesome to have a search form at the top and be able to use it to search for a specific song. That way, I don't have to scroll through the whole playlist searching for a song.

Also, I'd appreciate if you could make the playlist so that when the mouse hovers over it, it can scroll. Right now, if you want to scroll, you have to click on the flash player, and then you can scroll. But if you do this, then you'll start playing a new song. I'm not acquainted with Flash so I'm not sure if this is possible.

Also, dynamic resizing of the playlist to fit the window would be nice, but again, I'm not sure if this is possible with Flash since I don't know it.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome playlist. I listen to it pretty much every day. And, you're cool.
  2. aturtledoesbite Epoisses de Bourgogne League

I don't think Flash can do dynamic resizing, and I know Flash can't read any input unless it has focus (by clicking on it). However, there are a few places in the playlist you can click without changing the song, such as the scroll bar (specifically, the little thing that shows you where it's scrolled to), the thing that shows how long the song's been playing or how long it has left, and possibly one or two other little places like that.

Search is possible, but I don't think it could work dynamically (that is, it can't search as you're typing), but I'm not sure on that. Personally, on this end, I'd like to just be able to hit any letter while the playlist has focus and it could automatically scroll to that letter. For example, hitting "e" would instantly scroll it to Earnest Evans - Stage 1 since that's the first song that starts with E.

As for my own ideas, I would recommend having a button we could press that would end the song its on and immediately shuffle to another song. That way, if we really don't like whatever's playing, we have something to try to pull up another song we haven't heard before.

Also, tacking a question on here: What's that button right next to the sound control? It looks like a full-screen kinda thing, but it doesn't do anything.
  3. Cats777 ┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)

The playlist used to have several methods of dynamic resizing that were part of vanilla JWPlayer, which were all forms of stretching, but they all proved to be counter-intuitive to the playlist's nature. The JWPlayer was intended for Flash embedding in a set resolution, not necessarily for direct SWF viewing or embedding on different websites in different resolutions. The stretching methods would work fine if the player is on its set resolution, but if loaded on a resolution not set by the player, the player would become morphed, zoomed, or have black bars around it. Thus, it was canned. I even completely deleted the code running it in order to streamline the player.

The full-screen button was part of vanilla JWPlayer. It's mainly used for video. I don't really know how to remove it without messing up on how to cover the black gap that it creates, but I did remove the code that runs it.

All the others are good ideas to implement when I develop my own player.
  4. aturtledoesbite Epoisses de Bourgogne League

I just had a great idea.

Maybe you could put them together? Press the button and it resizes to fit the current window? You could even keep the current icon for it! :D